Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Things get interesting--left behind!

About a quarter mile into the parade, still on Division Street, I am riding behind Charlie with Rob in his 1955 jeep when the engine quits!  No problem, I think, I will simply run up and jump into Mike's jeep.  After I help push Rob's jeep out of the road, I jump out and begin to run forward.  I run and run, and realize that I am just keeping up with the flow, and not gaining on Charlie.  When I slow down to take a breather, Charlie gets further away from me. When Charlie gets to the right turn ahead and disappears from sight, I realize I am being left behind! All this work and preparation for 13 months and I am going to miss the parade!  What to do?  I did not feel I could run much more;  I am not 25 anymore and I was tired already.
       I did what any good former military person would do:  I commandeered a ride.  An older fellow was driving by in the parade in a beautiful old 60's red Ford Mustang.  Alone.  I yelled and asked if he could give me a ride.  He said yes.  Now at least I was keeping up with Charlie, but she was still a few hundred yards ahead of me.  I realized I could not gain on her this way, but at least I was keeping the same separation.  And I had a chance to rest a bit.  About a half mile further on, there was a double turn, and some traffic that stopped the parade for  few seconds.  As we turned the corner, I saw that was now only about 100 yards from Charlie, and she was at a dead stop.  I thanked Mr. Cooper, who was celebrating his 87th birthday the next day, hopped out and sprinted the 100 yards, catching Mike in his jeep just as he began to move again.  Made it!  I would not miss the parade after all!

No comments:

Post a Comment